Saturday, February 23, 2013

Tilapia Tacos w/ Sweet Bacon Slaw



Usually on the weekends, we tend to eat out both Friday and Saturday night with friends. But, this week the mister is on call for work, and it was the season finale of Gold Rush so we were homebound for the night! 

We have been on a fish kick lately, but I was craving tacos (surprise surprise! ha) so I decided to make tilapia tacos. I looked up a few recipes online, but nothing was really sounding great, or had three million ingredients in which I didn't have, and I am all about simple, especially on a Friday night!

So, after thinking on it for a while, I decided I was going to do a recipe similar to one my daddy makes, but add my own touches. I stopped by the store on the way home, picked up a few ingredients and was ready to go! This recipe is so quick and easy, and perfect for any night of the week!

Ingredients:
Frozen or Fresh Tilapia
1 Bag of Coleslaw Mixture
1 Jar Coleslaw Dressing
Bacon Crumbles (Bacon is so messy to cook, so going with my simple theme, I just picked up the jar kind!)
Yellow Corn Tortillas
Vegtable Oil
Old Bay Seasoning

Directions:

I began with mixing the coleslaw mixture and dressing together so it will have time to sit and blend together while I prepare the tilapia. This part really just depends on how many tacos you are making. I filled up a medium glass bowl with the coleslaw blend and then added the coleslaw dressing until it was the desired consistency we wanted. Once you have it to your desired consistency, add in your bacon, mix well, and set in the refrigerator until ready to serve.



Since I buy frozen tilapia, it is already individually packaged into single serving sizes. I just remove from packaging, rinse well, and place in a hot skillet coated in extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle each side with any seasonings you prefer (I just use Old Bay), and cook until you can flake apart the fish with a fork. 

While your tilapia is cooking, heat vegetable oil in a small pan on medium heat. Once it begins to heat up, take one corn tortilla and place in oil, let cook 30 seconds, then flip over and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Remove from oil, and place on a plate layered with paper towels to let the excess oil drain off. Continue until all shells are cooked. 

Once everything is prepared to your liking, layer taco shells with coleslaw, tilapia, and any other toppings you prefer and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment